Saturday, April 23, 2011

Carolina In my Mind

For those of you that are not from the Mystic Mountains of North Carolina, you would not be as sensitive as I am to songs of my homeland. But there are several. . .


The one and only Sweet Baby James sang so perfectly:

"In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina
Can't you see the sunshine
Can't you just feel the moonshine
Ain't it just like a friend of mine
To hit me from behind
Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind"


We Tarheels can boast of Andy Griffith, James Taylor, Robert Bryd (yes the Senator from West Virginia), Elizabeth Dole, Richard Gatling (of the Gatling Gun fame), Jesse Helms,  Andrew Jackson, Andrew Johnson, James Polk, (the seventh and seventeeth and eleventh Presidents of the United States), Dolly Madison (the President's Wife, not the baker, even though I am sure she was a good one), Cecil B. Demille, Ava Gardner, Star Jones, Julianne Moore, Soupy Sales, Ben Vereen, Clay Aiken (yes, of American Idol fame), George Clinton, Charlie Daniels, Thelonious Monk, Roberta Flack,  Randy Travis, Thomas Wolfe , David Brinkley . . . and dozens more.

The Old North State, or as most call it, the Tarheel State is home to mine and Mom's heart.  Most of her is Scots-Irish, the other parts are English, Germany and Huguenot.  A melting pot of some of the earliest settlers to this great land of ours.  Ancestors have bled and died in every conflict this country has seen, to the French-Indian Wars to the Iraq War.  She was raised in the shadow of the Grandfather




"There's a cabin in your valley my grandpa built on your land
Your Mountains are a canvas for the Maker's hand . . .

I carry you in my heart
your memory comes over me like the dark and
Carolina your calling me home. . ."

Eric Church said it much better than I could ever have.  Carolina is calling me home.  I want to run in those fields, walk where Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett once walked. . . chase the moon over the mountains . . .

But for now, me and Mom are here, in Siberia (otherwise known as Wisconsin) and until we can get things worked out or we just run away, we will be here, hearts in North Carolina and Paws in Wisconsin.  



My favorite Shelter in the High Country:





 

2 comments: