Monday, June 13, 2011

Counting Blessings

Yesterday was a typical, lazy Sunday morning.  I stretched and crawled up beside of Mom so I could get my early morning scratch behind the ears.  She gave me my usual "wooling" and surprised by saying "up and at 'em Smoochy".  Whaaaaa?  No staying in bed until noon, lanquishing the morning away by watching America's Top Model reruns??  What was wrong?  I always get a little flustered when my schedule is changed without a rhyme or reason! 

Mom gimped out of bed.  I know I know, I should say it nicer, but that is the truth - paw to heart - truth.  Mom walks with a decided limp because of, well, because of stuff.  ~shrugs~  Anyway, she said "get your leash, we are going to the park~!".  The Park, the Park?????  Really, Really?  I hadn't been to the park in ages and ages and ages.  I must have been like 6 months old or something like that.  ~nods for emphasis~

Mom got dressed while I did my typical "Meth" Lab dance waiting for her.  She finally grabbed her purse and opened the door.  Now, being the excellent dog that I am, I ran like the wind to the car and sat down at the back door.  MY door.  Mom finally got to the car and opened the door.  I bailed into the back seat and immediately yelled at Mom to open the windows. 

She started the car and the windows dropped all the way down and I was so excited to put the very tip of my nose out the window.  I am not one of these Head out the window, jowls flapping in the breeze doggies.  I want air and plenty of it, but I only want my nose out the window.  I rest it delicately on the window sill and I am in Dog Heaven.  Mom looks in the mirror sometimes and laughs.  She thinks I am strange.  Me, I just think I am intelligent.  If my head isn't out the window, I don't get bugs in my teeth, and my eyes don't water and I don't have to wear my doggles. 

Mom stopped at Mickey D's and got two egg biscuits and coffee.  One of those egg biscuits was mine, I was sure of it.  But on we went, in search of a park that would let me in it.  Finally, Mom spied the perfect one.  It had benches, a necessity for Mom, and lots of shade.  A necessity for me. 

We parked, and Mom got my lead out.  I waited patiently as she got everything situated.  The coffee, the Mickey D's bag, my lead and finally she opened the door and got me.  I am something of an enigma.  When I am on the lead, I am perfectly behaved.  I do not pull on Mom.  Maybe it is some inherent knowledge that I would hurt Mom if I pulled on the lead, whatever the reason, I don't dare pull on the lead. 

We made our way to one of the benches in the shade, and Mom opened the bag and laid my biscuit out on the paper for me.  She got hers out and opened her coffee.  I had just started to take my first yummy bite when I saw a man running through the park.  He had tears in his eyes and he literally slid in beside of me. 

Now for those of you that know labs, know that I was not afraid of him, I was just excited that someone had come to play with me.  Mom was almost speechless and she started to pull me toward her.  But then, the man begin to speak.

"I'm sorry, Ma'am.  But, you see, I came up here looking for work and I left my dog in Illinois.  It breaks my heart, and when I saw this beautiful boy, I just had to come say Hello to him."

Mom wasn't really sure but the man kept talking. . .

"I sleep over there at night on that park bench.  So far no one has bothered me, and I do small jobs so I can eat.  But this boy here," he pointed at me, "has just made my day."

He began hugging me, kissing me, and of course living up to my name I gave him all the kisses he could possibly want.  We played and played and played.  Jack was his name, or that's what he said.  He ruffled up my fur, even took his brush out of his jacket and brushed me with it.  He had tears in his eyes as he talked about his pup. 

He and Mom talked for a while, his hand never leaving me, wherever he could touch my wiggling body.  He finally thanked Mom for making his day.  Mom held back the tears until he walked away.  He never asked Mom for anything, money, etc.  He just wanted to pet me.  That's all he wanted.  He said it had made him very happy.  And, well, Mom understood that.

Mom sat silently on the bench for a little while longer.  Her eyes misting as she slowly stroked my head.  She leaned over and whispered, "I am blessed, Smoochy.  I seem to forget that sometimes.  But, today, here with you, seeing the joy you brought to that stranger, I realize just how much I am blessed.  I have you, the joy of my life, and good friends.  I am indeed blessed." 



(even though the picture is not coming up for some reason, the link still works)

3 comments:

  1. Oh Geeze Smooch, now my Mama is leaking out the eyes. Say? You said you wear doggles so your eyes don't leak? Do you think I should get a pair for my Mom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this story! It's making my mom's eyes mist, too. My mom would have done the same thing and would have been nice to that poor man. He's obviously down on his luck and feels terrible that he lost his very best furiend. Thank you for sharing this. Love, Blazer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smoochy you are a wonderful dog and your Mom a wonderful woman and there a few gifts you can give someone then a few moments of happiness to a perfect stranger. I am proud to call you friends.

    ReplyDelete