Saturday, April 23, 2016

Life Without Mama

One week ago, about this time, I left for the Bridge.  The flight was seamless.  I took my last breath in Mama's arms and in a millisecond I was sitting at the foot of the Bridge.  I could see a wall that all of the Angels had been building to keep the doggies with their family's on earth longer.  And I sat there just a minute looking at it.  As I did I felt the strength come back to my left leg, my heart began beating again faster, stronger, louder.  The grey disappeared from my paws and my muzzle.  I looked down in disbelief as I put on the 30 lbs I had lost.  I was again my magnificent self. (okay okay, I was again big old Smoochy).  

I looked back over my shoulder, down to Mama crying in Dr. Tom's office and I hesitated.  But I knew that I was where I should be.  Then I took one big leap and broke down the wall that Foley, LadyBug, Reba, Logan, Sophie, Tommy Tunes, and the rest of the Angels had been building.  They went flying backwards like the ten pins at the bowling alley.  Flippity Flop everywhere.  I ran to help them up and then just couldn't stop hugging them.  My friends, my friends.  "I am here, I am here.  Sorry about the wall, but I couldn't stop myself.  I have been hurting for a while now, but look"  I held out My left leg, whole and strong.  "I am perfect again".  At that point I heard a grumbled "perfect, yeah right".  And I pounced in that direction, bowling my brother over.  "Hershey, Hershey"  My brother left for the Bridge when I was two.  Oh how I had missed tormenting him.  I used to bite his ears and tail.  I vaguely remember trying to stab him, but that in and of itself is another story.  

Then I saw other Labs.  Hershey led me over to introduce me to Chey.  It seems they had become fast friends having arrived at the Bridge near the same time.  She was just as beautiful as Miss Sierra had told me.  Oh Oh.  Sierra.  I peeked over Hershey's head and saw her.  I ran and hugged her tight.  We whispered a little about our Mom's and how much we were loved and about camping.  Then there was little terrier that came bouncing over to me.  I looked down and the dog grinned.  "Hey, Smoochy.  Do you remember that picture of your Mom with her first dog?  Well that is me, Toodles. I have watched over Mom for a long long time.  I won't say how long, you know, good manners and all that.  But I was her first."  Toodles pointed to a beautiful collie coming toward us at a fast clip,  "that is Inky, and then you have another collie, Babe, a tri color collie Nikki, two Dobermans Thunder and Lightning."  Toodles looked up at me, "I think she was at a loss for names that day or it was storming or something."  He shrugged and pointed at another dog that was running toward us.  "That is Charlie.  The cats, Puff, Corky, Snoopy and Ranger are off doing cat things I suppose.  You can meet them later."

We all sat down, each having tales to tell of Mom that I hadn't heard before.  Seems like furbabies had been a big part of her life since *mumbles the years*.  Babe, a beautiful collie started to speak.  "Smoochy, you are Mom's HeartDog.  We all knew it the minute she picked you up.  It doesn't mean that we were loved any less.  It just means you two were cut from the same cloth so to speak.  You got just a wee bit more of her heart is all.  And you called her MAMA.  Enough said.  But, we have to make sure that you are not the last in her life.  She needs a companion."

I have been here a week.  *looks around*  It is beautiful.  Life here is idyllic, full of friends that have gone before.  I have plenty to eat, plenty to do or not do.  That is the beauty of it.  I can sit here and count blades of grass all day if I want.  *shakes My head* uh I could do that below as well.  The one thing I miss is Mama.  Her touch, her words, but I don't miss her love because it is all around me.  

No worries, Mama.  We are looking for another pup for you.  We will be sure and send the right one your way.  And remember. . . . 

I know you saw Smoochy's Moon last night. . .  but just in case.  

5 comments:

  1. Beautifully said Smoochy. We will get through this together my friend. Until our Happily Ever After comes. Love Foley

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have poured your Heart out and we all know your life is full of Love for those that arrived long before you....and your Eyes Shine with that Love and will over take the Sadness that you left behind..����..And a New Life has begun at The Bridge�� Your Friend.....Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Smooch eee you are truly an angel.

    Love, Molly and my Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending love and hugs to you and Mama Kay.
    JKWE and The Boyz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess my mama is still in denial. These blogs help. It is comforting to know that you are feeling well and watching over us from above.

    ReplyDelete