Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Tale for Koly

It was a cold, snowy day. The winter had been harsh and food was scarce. I had not seen a bird in well over a week and the feeling was just, well, eerie. The snow finally stopped but the day remained gray and dismal. I rummaged through the cabinet for some dinner and happened upon some potato soup. I got the water boiling and had just begun to slice the bacon when my inner dog, sixth-something-is-out-there sense kicked in. I laid the knife and potato down on the counter and moved to the back door to see what was amiss.

I peeked out the door but the fog was dense and impenetrable by sight, but I knew something was there. I could hear the heavy tread and the low uhhhhh, uhhhhhh, uhhhhhh of something menacing. The fur stood up on the back of my neck and I got the heebie-jeebies. I quickly backed away from the door, shutting it with a decided thunk, double checking the lock as I did. I am not sure what evil was lurking in the impending night, but I wanted no part of it.

I finished my fixings and put the soup on the stove to cook. I settled down in my recliner and turned on the television. My favorite program was on, so I focused all of my attention on it, trying desperately to shake the icy hand that had a firm grip on my soul.

After eating the soup, barely tasting anything but hot, I cleaned up the kitchen and tried to settle down on my red pillow for a nap. Finally, sleep overtook me and I entered into a deep, dreamless, sleep.

I awoke, refreshed and less apprehensive than when I had fallen asleep.
I headed outside. The fog had dissipated but the morning was more of the same damp, cloudy day that I had seen numerous times this year. Living in a fenced in community I had always felt safe here. I had plenty of room to run without the raccoons, fishers, and weasels being able to enter my domain. Deer would walk by and then saunter on down the road, always obeying the traffic signs. Considerate lot, they are.

The majority of my aggravation came from a little dog down the street. It seemed his life long ambition to irritate me. He would refrain from using the bathroom all the way from his house to mine. The minute he got to my fence he would proceed to act like it was his own personal bathroom area. ~holds my ears over my paws~ And that bark, he would rival Julie Andrews High C in Victor/Victoria. I swear the glass in the door almost shattered one day.

I decided to wait for him today and surprise him with a woof or two. I am not usually a very vocal dog but something ill was on the wind today. I felt like a good bark would be good for me. I moved over behind the bush so I could wait for him.

I scanned the sky, still no birds. What was up with that? I shrugged, and got Ms. Giggles and pulled her over beside for company. Tapping my toes on the snow, I tilted my head. Something was coming but it didn’t sound like my nemesis. It was bigger and had a lumbering walk and the noise it was making was like something other worldly. Then the worst smell in the world assaulted my olfactory senses. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

I quickly scrambled up and backed away, reflexively. I didn’t see anything yet, but I could feel its presence all the way down to my toes. Then it came into view. My first reaction was to jump up in the air and bark a greeting. It was Koly’s Bear. Mr. Moose and Mr. Bear would always come visit me when they were in the neighborhood, maybe even bring me a package of Auntie Jodi’s yummy treats.

 My bark froze in mid-air, a kind of strangled woof. This was NOT Koly’s bear. This bear was lean and mean, hungry , after months of hibernation and not too happy that she woke up and there was still four feet of snow on the ground and 8 inches of it fresh snow.

I hit the snow after my wild leap of abandon, and begin to creep backwards. The bear gave me a look as if she wanted to eat me. Thank dog for a chain link fence. Yeah, right, that bear coulda crawled over that fence in two seconds flat. I backed up, never taking eyes off of her. I gently grabbed a few of my precious toys in my mouth . I didn’t know if this bear wanted any of my toys or even if she would play with them if she had them. But I didn’t want her getting Mr. Wiggly Giggly, or Miss Hedgehog. She didn’t really look like toys was what she was looking for anyway.

I eased back inside and threw down the doggy door and locked it, back against the wall breathing hard. The bear finally wandered down the street, but she isn’t gone. She’ll be back looking for food Until then, I will stay inside. I guess you can say I will be in hibernation for a week or so.



4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh is this true? I am trembling in my paws. This is the scariest story ever. Smoochy please don't go outside without humans ever again. I am going to go hide under the bed now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe she got word that there was a hot lookin' dude in da hood...she came to check you out Smoochy. You even have a reputation with the Bear community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BRRR! I have chills after reading that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooh, Smoooch! You have another b-b-b-bear! *shivers* this story sent chills up and down my puggley spine and I think you had better STAY INSIDE! Don't take any chances with a bear. Besides, staying in means you can devote all your time to writing me more stories. I ♥ your stories. You should write the great american novel.

    ReplyDelete