Saturday, April 9, 2016

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

Mama has used the above quote on my TB page for years.  She says it is one of her favorite quotes.  I like it to.  But today, while I was laying on my bed watching Nat Geo Wild and watching things with big mouths eat things *alive* even.  I got to thinking about that quote.  

I broke it down.  "He is your friend". . . I have been Mama's friend ever since she picked my little ole wiggly butt up.  She had me at "hey there punkin".  I was hers completely, her touch was heaven and her face well. . . she was my angel.  

"your partner". . . yeppers, I have been that to.  We have been partners, going to North Carolina on road trips, taking my brother's ashes home, going to Farm Fest, going to DQ and getting pup cups, taking trips to PetCo. Partners, got that one covered.

"defender". . . mmmm maybe I have not been the best defender.  I did stand up and woof the night the bear came to visit.  But I didn't run out and protect her from it.  I would have been eaten and then there would have been no one left to DEFEND her.  *stomps paw and does the graceful fall over thing*  I really have to remember as a tri paw I can't do that. A mouse, nope. . . they run right past me and I just kinda look at them, then Mama has to spray em with Clorox and kill em.  *shrugs*  I guess I am a slacker on the defending part.

"your dog". . . Yes I have this one down pat.  I am her dog from the tip of my nose to the tip of My tail.  *High 5's anyone within reach*  Definitely I am her DOG.

"You are his life" . . . *looks at Mama with big old tears in my eyes*  she is definitely my life.  After Hershey left and went to the Bridge, my life has been filled with Mama.  Sleeping with her was the most wonderful thing.  I haven't been able to do that lately, but you know what?  She sleeps in the floor with me occasionally.    In the floor, on my mattress, with me.  She has that one taken care of for sure.

*his love*  Oh my, Mama is my love.  I love to feel those delicate hands on my face, kissing me, just talking to me low and sweet.  She tells me about her day, how much she loves me.  She has cried on me, laughed with me and yes probably scolded me once or twice.  She is my love.

*his leader*  Oh dear, where would I be if Mama wasn't here to lead me.  Especially now.  I am such a lucky pup.  *hides the tears as they fall on my muzzle*

*He will be yours*  I am and forever will be her puppy.  That same two week old wiggly, puppy breath one that she picked out that March day in 1996.

*faithful and true*  always Mama, always.

*to the last beat of his heart*  My tail will still be wagging when that time comes, full of love for Mama.

*You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion*  I know that when the day comes that I must leave her that she will be there with me, hand on my head, petting me helping me make the transition between her love and the Bridge.  She has been worthy of my devotion even if she thinks she hasn't.  

I love you Mama and I will always live in your heart.




2 comments:

  1. Oh, Smoochy, your mom loves you so much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Smooch eee and Mom,
    We can't begin to tell you how much reading your love stories touch Mom and I's hearts.

    Your friendship is truly a gift and your love and devotion to each other is inspirational.

    Love, Molly and my Mom

    ReplyDelete